High Plain Elementary
January PTO Meeting Minutes
Friday, January 8 2016
Kim Sousa, Lauren Jones, Stephanie Lenzi, Joanna Yianopoulos,
Kirsten Ahearn, Pam Lathrop, Marika Lyons, Vikki Gallagher
December Minutes: Stephanie
Lenzi and Vikki Gallagher approved the minutes.
- Reach out to committee
members (a night meeting) to have a info meeting about all the
committees. Hear about
PARCC/PTO…Spring Open House.
- Neighbors in need: Possibly
have 40 2nd graders help out to see where the food goes and
what happens. Checking out the
- Direct donation letter went out in the mailboxes.
- 5th Grade Talent Show:
early release day: Friday,
June 3rd starting at 9am.
Dress rehearsal is June 1.
- Eblast will go out on Tuesdays going forward.
- Cash Calendar: Ursula has
done an unbelievable job getting donations, making calls, keeping
track. Just needs to follow up at
this point. We should begin selling
tickets for this. Mention about
doing this in March as a possiblity to give us more time.
- Blackboard connect: conflict of interest between school and
pto. There are times we can use it
as a reminder but cannot solicit through blackboard connect. Guest
speaker, educational info would be fine, so we still need email blast for
- Parent Social: Kirsten Ahearn
and Jyoti Mahajan would like to chair and include all families. Target of 750 parents as a rough start,
hope to get 1/3 (250 people).
Locations: including Greek
Orthodox School, great parking and
easy to work with. Christina
Hutchins is a member there and she spoke with Ed George there about renting
the hall. March or April? 7 dates
were sent out. Alcohol could be
offered, but not sold there. You
can return it if not used. Most
likely host a silent auction.
- Invite Dr Berman to come to events (parent social as example).
- Pasta Palooza: February 24th. All the forms are coming in…job
responsibilities. Signup genius for
signups. Food has arrived and is
currently being stored. Invitaions
will be sent out next week. If snow
day, next day.
- Sweetheart Dance: May dates. May 13th is an early release
- Science Night: Have not used
a custodian in the past. Are we
still good with that or do we need one to pick up plastic
cups/string? If a few people help
to clean up, we can waive the custodian fee for the night.
- 5 in 5th grade and 2 in 4th grade…Korean
exchange students. Purchase HPE
tshirts. They are trying to bring
culture into the school.
- Pam mentioned we have Ladybug cameras (3 or 4) that scan
papers. Everyone wants one and
maybe we can do a joint ($515
each). Smartboards are 7 years old
and are starting to fail. 3 have
been replaced with brand new ones.
Dr. Berman is working with technology to work it into the
technology budget, but something else will get cut. We can buy an Epson smart projector and
a new white board which is the updated version. You need the ladybug camera to project
the images. They work in
conjunction with one another. All
the smartboards have been fixed.
Pam L will keep us posted.
- Lowell Spinners Deposit: June
18th? Andover All
School Cultural Committee: usually
support them $150 and we will do it again.
Received a $50 check from a restaurant.
- How to get info to parents…different events. Purple press is internal. Have Mara
using blackboard connect for a routine thing. What’s happening this week at HPE?
- AIL: Rob Surette will be here
on Monday at 10am. (Be Somebody
presentation: Paintings will be
available for sale. PTO should
consider buying one. He is back the
27-29 on Jan and doing Artists in Residence. A schedule will posted. There will be a final revealing (the
children will not know what they are working towards).
- High School students Warrior Way will be here next week.
- Strings (4th & 5th grades), recorders (3rd)
and band playing next week.
- All new phone system up and running next week. Will be a seamless transition from old
to new. Will be through a software
company (all digital). School will
have a different phone number, social worker, special ed will have
separate numbers. Purchasing a cell
phone so teachers can take the phone out on duty. All other schools have already
- A few maternity leaves: Renee
Pierce leaving in April, Grimard, teaching assistant leaving Feb 12. Special Ed teachers leaving: Heather Sullivan.
- Town is doing a facilities overview. Ex. replace windows, etc. We should think about something
new. Someone will spend a day with
us to see what needs to be done.
Parking, traffic flow, etc.
- Other thing to keep on the radar:
it’s budget season. 2 school
committee meetings next week (Elementary is on the 14th). There will be slides that are things in
our budget, but our main focus will be class size. Based on projections, classes need
additional teachers. Will need
another 5th grade teacher for next year. Ready to roll out ALICE in elementary
schools. How will it be rolled out
for the children? Kids in
elementary will follow teachers/grownups and do not need to see a graphic
film to fully understand. February
is the rollout month.
- Courtyard update: Marika is
on a committee (focus is looking at education and learning spaces). There are organizations that support these
rather than landscape. Some of it is focused on outside and
- Zippy machine is put in cafeteria (coffee, espresso, tea). $1.
Can treat teachers one day.
During teacher apprecation day, do free coffee for a day.
Next Meeting: Friday,
February 5th at 9am in cafe