High Plain Elementary
September PTO Meeting Minutes
Friday, September 4, 2015
Kim Sousa, Lauren Jones, Stephanie Lenzi, Joanna Yianopoulos,
Pam Lathrop, Marika Lyons, Meg McLaughlin, Kerry Croll, Juliet Wright, Marisa Frost,
Pernille Davolio, Christine Lightburn, Monica Nelson, Heather Nutter, Sajda
- Math-a-thon: Wrapping up and
due on September 18. Will Send out
one eblast for wrapup.
- Kindergarten play date: went
well, lots of new families.
Playground and popsicles.
The night time option worked great as most parents work during the
day…the early evening time also helped so as to avoid mosquitos. A little accident on the playground on
one of the equipment not geared towards that age group, so next time avoid
having kindegarteners go on it. Possibly
rope off that area. The color
coding was great for the kids. For
example, if you had red, you knew what kids were in your class.
- New Family Orientation: Huge
crowd and it worked great. 57 new
students over the summer. Pam and
Marika trying to bring back a more welcoming feel, tablecloth, welcome
back folders, popsicles,..want people to feel really welcome. Decorations, nice…tours.
- Charleston Wrap: Michelle
Flanagan working on it. One of the
biggest fundraisers for the PTO. Packets will come out a little earlier
than in the past and children will receive them via their backpacks. Need
help with pickup and delivery of orders.
Asking Pam Lathrop to stand out front or even put tables outside
and hand out orders. Need to figure
out a great way to distribute orders and send home smaller orders via
- 5th grade events: 5th
Grade Coordinator is still open. We
have people offering to help, but no one is interested in the coordinator
role. Possibly dissolve that
position and just have 5th Grade Helpers. Vikki and Doug Gallagher will help with
talent show. Pasta Palooza: Lauren Jones and Christine Lightburn
will coordinate. Gift cards for teachers
who do outdoor ed. Pam Lathrop will
speak with Jai Mistry about helping with tshirts. Can ask room parents to coordinte the
- Fall Festival: Joanna
Yianopoulos and Heather Nutter co-chair event. Working on a date and will most likey be
held on a Friday night in October. Will
call Mara about a date. Huge amount
of volunteers….coordinate it, what needs to be done. Pernille D’Avolio also offered to be on the
committee. Look at past volunteers
and reach out to them.
- Ice Cream Social/Book Fair:
Marisa Frost volunteered to coordinate the event to be held in conjunction
with the book fair.
- Parent Social: Up for discussion
- Parent-to-parent Liaison: Jackie
Pitts has volunteered to coordinate the various events.
- Skateland: Kerry Croll
volunteered to coordinate the event.
- Pam will speak with Mara about different events. Have Lisa Sellinger available at school
events to take pictures. Lisa works
on Fridays, so an alternate plan will be put in place. She will coordinate with Hochan and
everyone should send their photos to her.
- Room parent meeting is next Friday. Provide Chrisitan Lightburn with
Lisa Sellinger’s email address.
- Yearbook layout: Hochan Won
has volunteered to take on this position.
- Email blast will go out on Tuesdays…Joanna Yianopoulos will check in
with Kelly Drummey on a weekly basis to edit before it goes out.
- Teachers helpers: Kerry Croll
has volunteered to be Coordinator
- Thank you to Christine and Dawn for back to school teacher
- Planners: Lisa Scott will
work on them from here on.
- Pam Lathrop: Online system
for reserving the school (Andrea Zaimes for paper)
- Box Tops: Donna Craig in
charge. Email her to say we are
“on” and to go forward with them.
- Back to school picnic: 5-7 on
Thursday, Sep 10th. If
it rains, it will be cancelled. We
will get a credit from DJ if it rains.
Make sure Kelly Drummey sends out an email blast the day of if
weather looks awful. Can Pam
Wright be on site that night in case of an injury? Use freeze pops and bring scissors. Pam and Marika will put out hula hoops
- Advernutres in Learning: All
Town Robotics will take place in October.
Juliet Wright is in charge.
All Town – we are responsible for doing that . $10,000 budget for assemblies all
year. We participate in the all town
assembly as they were getting bigger speakers and costs were split. It is pricey. All the schools do one together. Form that used to go out to teachers for
any theme. Pam will send out to
teachers today and forward to Juliet.
- Family Diversity Project:
Mobile exhibits you rent to give awareness of diversity. Everyone is a family: pictures of diverse looking families. Looking for $800, but looking for any
donations. They should make a
presentation to the PTOs. Other
PTOs except Sanborn, have donated $800.
At President’s meeting, Kim should attend and mention that we need
a heads-up for donating money.
- ACE: They are a group that supports the schools and they are asking
for donations. We need a little more information before making
this year’s donation.
- Directory: Send updated list to Monica Nelson. She brought a demo directory that Sanborn
uses. It is a much smaller version
than what HPE has used in the past.
- Budget for direct donations;
$3500 in 2014-15. We did
$2600 in 2013-14. Budget for 2015-16
wil be $3000.
- Planners…we bought too many and will be $500 over.
Made $500 for harvest fest. Will
budget $1000 for 2015-16
Spring Social: To make $5000. We made $5000 in spring 2015. Budget $5000 for 2015-16.
Calendar raffle and square one art to be held on opposite years.
Mathathon: Pam still likes the idea of pledging, but
probably suggest a flat rate.
Fun Run: Flat rate vs pledge per lap.
CharlestonWrap: Budgeting for $3000 and we did $3400 in 2015. We did $5000 in 2014.
- Kim will ask other PTOs when they do their direct donation.
- Room Parents: Sadha would
like to be informed if she does not get in as a room parent. She felt that she waited and did not
hear. Tough call as would put
teachers on the spot .
Next Meeting: TBD